Friday, December 3, 2010

The Corner Store






As we all know I ♥ food, so one of my friend's decided put me up on game on this new Cuban restaurant in the Valley.  I'm Gordita, I know but I absolutely love Cuban food so I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to satisfy my belly and get some great food. El Rincon Cubano is a hidden gem (literally) in Valley Village.  I pulled up to this seedy strip mall with a liquor store on the corner and needless to say I wasn't too enthused to eat anything in this local joint.  Nonetheless I proceeded, it took a few minutes to find because the restaurant is literally in the corner, hidden to public view.  I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in to a cute Cuban inspired Mom and Pop shop and to my surprise it was very clean.  You know when you go in those older Mom and Pop shops, and it looks a little dingy, but still has a grade A on the window, but you still eat it the food because it soooo good? Looked like the roaches haven't made their home yet so marched on in. It was a delightful place and much  bigger than it looks on the outside.  Since I was in a new place I decided to try a new dish.  I usually get Pollo Asado (roasted chicken with garlic and onions), but I chose a pork dish instead, the waitress recommended it so I said, "What the Hay?"  As I waited for my order, a nice basket of bread was presented to me. If you've never had Cuban bread then you're really missing out.  Cuban bread is flaky, buttery, and just melts in your mouth. Even though I dined alone I had a refill on my basket but Shhhhh!  Don't Tell Nobody!  So on to the entree, my pork chops came and looked really good.  Mind you I haven't had pork chops in years so I was a little apprehensive about trying ones from another country.  Pork chops weren't bad but wish I would've stuck with my chicken dish. Everything else was really good.  I'm not a huge bean fan but the black beans were delicious, plantains are always good, I always order an extra helping of plantains!  The best thing was that I got this meal all for $6.99!!!  El Rincon Cubano has a daily special everyday of the week.  I'll make sure to make this one of my Cuban spots anytime I need a quick fix.


EL RINCON CUBANO RESTAURANT

5424 Laurel Canyon Blvd.
Valley Village, CA 91607
(818) 763-6272

No comments:

Post a Comment