Monday, October 25, 2010

Downtown L.A at its' Best!

I started my Saturday morning in anticipation of Artisinal LA  brought to us by the same people that introduced us to The LA Street Food Fest. Artisinal LA was a weekend long event (Oct. 23 and Oct. 24) supporting local vendors that want to give us healthy, sustainable, hand-made eats and treats.  Since this event was in downtown L.A I decided to take the train. I am the biggest advocate of the train!  It saves time, gas, you don't have to pay to park, and it's only $1.50 (each way)!  Every time I get off downtown  I feel like I'm in New York.  Standing amongst high rise buildings galore, I daydream that I'm in the Big Apple, then I wake up and realize it's just dirty ol' Downtown L.A. I kid I kid!  This blissful affair was held at the historic Cooper Building, not too far from FIDM and The Alley. After my brisk walk I  arrived and discovered  there were crafts for the kiddies, chef demos, and samples of everything! So I got right to it, I sampled everything in sight!
Cast Iron Gourmet spice rubs

I scouted out many of the the merchants and found out several of them made there debut at this event,  many items were not in stores, one of which was Cast Iron Gourmet.  They had some of the best bacon I've ever had, they carried dry rubs, like Cajun heat,and Black Pepper and put it on the bacon, genius! I could just  kick myself for not taking a  picture (too busy eating) of their Original Couch Mix, trail mix with candied bacon!
Breakfast Cupcake
A total party in my mouth, I wish I bought two bags! Reluctantly leaving that swine fest I stumbled upon another pork flavored delight. The breakfast cupcake was definitely a surprise.  If you like buttermilk pancakes, sweet maple syrup and crispy bacon then you'll love this cupcake!  I browsed the aisles further and saw a small line forming, I decided to see what all the buzz was about , it was a makeshift taco stand.
Chicken Taco
  Homegirl Café grows all their own vegetables and herbs in their garden, pretty cool, which was very much the trend for the event. While this wasn't the best taco I've ever had it definitely wasn't the worst.  The
Chicken Tamale
Almond Brittle
chicken was very tender, but the taco just seemed like it was missing some ingredients.  Chicken tamale was pleasant, I was so stuffed at this point I don't even know how I ate it.  After this savory dish I had a bit of a sweet tooth, so I decided to revisit the p.o.p candy booth. I discovered some brittle with some interesting blends like rosemary almond, thyme,walnut, and cherry, and fire pistachio. The rosemary almond brittle was to die for, I had to have more of it!  I was on my way out and some how missed a booth.  Sauce Goddess Gourmet had some fab sauces and dry rubs.  They mixed their dry rub with sour cream to make dip and if you're on a diet like myself (he he) you can use plain yogurt instead.  It was so good I could just imagine how those spices would taste on meat!  I had a long walk back to the train, so headed out, I left the Cooper building as my dad would say "Fat, Full, and Delicious!"  For $10, I was able to experience new delicacies, like blueberry butter, taste absolutely everything, and leave with my taste buds very satisfied. This was a fantabulous event, I'm in anticipation for the next foodie event.  I hope this was a great success for Artisianal L.A, I could bet this won't be the last of it's kind.  F.Y.I dineLA will be back January 23-28 and January 30-February 4, 2011.  I'll make sure to keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment