Friday, October 15, 2010

Dining with the Stars




  The other day was a blazing hot day and I thought it would be a perfect night to dine outside (which I almost never do).  It was also another good opportunity for me to participate in dineLA again (http://discoverlosangeles.com/restaurantweekv2/index.jsp ).  I twiddled my fingers a bit but on this fine evening I decided to go to Chablis Food + Wine in Tarzana.  OMG this place was so cute the patio looked like a scene from a movie.  White lights were strung throughout the trees, and man was playing top 40's music on an acoustic guitar outside. It was about 75 degrees when I got there so I decided to share my meal with the moon and stars.  Everything  on the menu looked delish, I wish I brought a companion because I wanted to try everything!  The bread was fab, fresh, and hot.  Although the butter tasted like it was in the refrigerator way to long, it didn't take away from any of the flavor of the bread. For my starter I ordered the beef puff pastry.
Skirt Steak and Mushrooms
In puff pastry drizzled with port reduction



 This was so good I swear I almost licked the plate, there was absolutely nothing left! There's nothing I love more than caramelized, sauteed onions, Yum Yum!! Choosing the main course was a toughie, it was between the flat iron steak or the lobster and seafood medley.  Tryin' to go light and stay within my diet (He He), I decided to go with the lobster medley.
Lobster and Seafood Medley
Served in a rustic tomato saffron broth served over artichoke pea cous cous

Truly a seafood lovers dream, this was a light refreshing dish. Succulent prawns, colossal scallops, mussels, and calamari flooded my plate.  The cous cous was delightful, I have to subtract a few points because the cous cous had peas.  Despite my annoyance of peas, it gave the dish a sweet flavor that was quite stimulating. Leaving a little room for dessert I chose the peach cobbler.
Peach Cobbler
The" peach cobbler" was awesome but I definitely wouldn't call it cobbler. Peach cobbler has a crust right? This was more like an apple crisp made with peaches. It was still delicious, just wouldn't call it cobbler. Now if you're gonna serve me ice cream at a restaurant I'm gonna need it to be vanilla bean, case closed!
  My server was very friendly but could not  recommend some of the dishes because she didn't eat meat . There were long intervals between courses, I think I got a little neglected because I sat outside.  As the evening progressed it got a little nippy.  That was my signal to leave because I DO NOT play around in the cold!!  Had great evening , and only spent $34 on a three course dinner, I will definitely return.  This is the last day for dineLA so I hope everyone was able to enjoy some good food!      

No comments:

Post a Comment