Monday, February 28, 2011

Swine and Wine

It is not a game people!

Cast Iron Gourmet owner, Rashida Purifoy and I


Couch Mix $11

Frisee Salad
Shame, shame, shame on me for not spreading the word about this fab bacon that I had a few weeks ago! I had some of the best bacon ever at Cork Bar's Swine and Wine event, hosted by pork master Rashida Purifoy. Swine and wine was a 3-course fixed menu with bacon for $25(optional wine paring $13), awesome deal right? I brought along a few gal pals to experience the blissfulness of this bacon! I boasted about the couch mix on the car ride over, the girls gave me a look like "Whatchu talkin' about Willis??", it's something so indescribable, you just have to try it for yourself!  We arrived at Cork Bar which  is a small corner bistro in the heart of Downtown L.A. We dined with the stars on this clear chilly night, which was okay because the warmth of the fire pits kept us toasty.  Before we placed our order, our server placed a shot of couch mix on the table.I already new what was about to happen, game over!  These ladies couldn't get enough of the stuff, trail mix with caramelized bacon, it was a wrap! At that moment Rashida became their bacon dealer (I'm already a client),  because this stuff is foodie crack!  That got the juices flowing and we were so excited about what was to come.
Bahn Mi Sliders
The first course was a Frisee and Bacon Salad, which had roasted tomatoes, a light mustard vinaigrette and flavorful seasoned bacon.  This was a great start to our meal, we were in pure bliss.  Now imagine feeling that way about a salad, crazy huh? The salad was a tough act to follow but what came next was even better, if you can imagine that. The Bahn Mi Sliders came next, now this might come second to the Couch Mix in my pork book. This mouth watering slider consisted of cured pork belly in a hoisin glaze, sambal aioli, cilantro, pickled  dikon and carrot, with a drizzle of sriracha.  This delectable delight just melts in your mouth.  I don't even have words for how good this slider was, I'm just glad that there were two on the plate!  We are almost full and a little antsy, anticipating our last and final course, the Bacon Chocolate Cupcake!
Bacon Chocolate Cupcake
Our cupcakes came out warm and moist with a dollop of Carmel whipped cream and of course sprinkled with thick juicy bacon.  It was really good, just wish the actually cupcake was a little sweeter.  It was a perfect blend of salty and sweet and I would gladly have another!  Rashida did a meet and greet with us, as she did with all the tables, and she gave me my  order (I ordered a week in advance, I don't play!) of Couch Mix, Bourbon Bacon Chutney and Pimento Cheese with Bacon Fat.  You would swear Halle Berry walked in the room, camera flashes and floods of questions,  my friends were so intrigued on this Couch Mix, "How do you make it?", "Where can I get it?"  I'm glad she was there to answer all of their questions and needless to say supply each and everyone of them with a box of Couch Mix ($11).   And there you have it, the story of Cast Iron Gourmet's three new addicts, and I'm not trying to kick the habit anytime soon!



Cork Bar
403 W. 12th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90015
213-746-0050





P.S. March 1st. is National Pork Day!  Come out to Black Boar Bar and enjoy two of my favorite things pork and liquor!

No comments:

Post a Comment